Thursday, May 28, 2009

Twenty years since Tiananmen.

In terms of emotional memory its hard to believe that its been that long.   In retrospect my reaction to the massacre was inversely  proportioned to my inability to process the possibility that a government would openly murder its own civilians in those kinds of numbers.  I was furious both because of what happened and because I knew there would be no justice.  There was a protest or sit in or "come show your support" event in Grant Park a few days afterward and I remember sitting there seething over how pointless and futile all the speeches were and a guy walked by selling copies of the Daily Worker and I could not believe it.  I started yelling at him for having the fucking gall and of course what followed didn't flatter either of us.  Thank god I was in diapers when Kent St. happened.

I don't mean to be flip but I it seems to me that the change the student protesters forced can be measured by the extent to which excess Chinese capital financed our recent housing bubble.  I don't think that's what they had in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment