Monday, May 18, 2009

A new skill Im working on. Keeping my mouth shut.

Last night the producer of this movie Im doing was kind enough to invite me to dinner at his in-laws along with two other people on the shoot who are long time family friends of theirs.  It was a great time but almost got derailed at the outset.   

The hosts were Notre Dame alums and so of course they were talking about Obama's speech and since I was the only one there who had seen it I dived right in mistakenly assuming we were all wearing the same uniform in the culture wars.  Tactical error.

When I mentioned Obama getting heckled I was asked if Alan Keyes or his group of protesters was involved, which he wasn't as far as I know, but then that oddly segued into comments about how much love there was in the room for Alan Keyes and how at least one person there had voted for him for President.   

Alan-fucking-Keyes.   This had all the makings of an ugly ugly incident.

I blacked out Im sure but I don't know for how long.  When I came to though the first thought that entered my head was that given the circumstances I probably should not inquire as to exactly what the fuck is wrong with these people or explain how they are destroying America with their political views and Perry Ellis nautical theme sweaters.  In fact I didn't say a word.  I just looked out the window and focused on staying upright in my chair.  Before I knew it we were talking about hostas which I also hate but don't care to fight about.

This is progress.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you just sat there and let them get away with that bullshit about hostas!

    ReplyDelete